Skip to content

:: this time last year – a birth story ::

June 3, 2011

June 3, 2011 saw me the most pregnant I had ever been: 38 weeks, 6 days.

Most pregnant I've ever been!

Baby was still sitting breech after many attempts to encourage her to turns (Hypnobabies, moxibustion, acupuncture, external version and chiropractic care). Getting tired of nesting and having finished the coming

Baby 3's Coming Home Outfit

home outfit I had been rushing to make,  I decided that morning that we were going to head in to Cold Lake, 45 minutes away, and take a load of toys and clothes to the second hand store for donations and grab a few last minute things for the baby.  As I was loading donations and Isaac into the car my water broke!  Needless to say, we were no longer headed to Cold Lake, but going the opposite direction to Meadow Lake instead.

As we drove I encouraged Michael to stay quiet (:)) and I listened to my Hypnobabies tracks to enter myself into hypnosis and get ready for the wonderful birthing day of my baby.  We arrived at the hospital in Meadow Lake at around 11:30 am and I was checked and told to be 6cm.  My doctor, Dr. Letkemen, had agreed to deliver the baby breech and I was fully expecting that we would be carrying out the plan we had discussed at our previous appointments.

However, when no contractions were showing up on the monitor for an hour and a half he began to get concerned.  The recovery room nurse was sent in to discuss the c-section recovery policies to me and I politely informed her that I would not be having one.  She did not believe me, and we conversed a little more before she left.  In addition to the new pressure being placed on Michael and I that our baby should be delivered by c-section, I was also ‘not to get out of the bed or move around AT ALL’ because of the risk of cord prolapse because baby was not yet engaged.  So, needless to say, this was counter-productive as when I was moving around I was having contractions!  In order to get off the monitors I would go to the bathroom every 20 minutes ‘to pee’ and instead do squats and pace the bathroom for several minutes.  By 1:30 I knew things had to start happening or I was going to be leaving that hospital with another scar on my abdomen.  I sat in the bathroom, did some squats and spoke to my soon to be born baby.  I said, “Baby, now is the time.  If it’s safe for you to be born breech we need to get going on it.  If it’s not going to be safe for you then chill out and we’ll have a c/s.”  Yes, I had that conversation.  No, Michael doesn’t know that part.  But now he does.  And he probably thinks I’m a little bit crazier than I was before!  At the time he wasn’t even at the hospital.  I had sent him out to run errands around Meadow Lake (remember all those clothes and toys that needed to be donated?  He also stopped at the bakery for treats! Yum!)

Within 10 minutes I began to have contractions that were showing up on the monitors.  They quickly progressed to every few minutes apart and I began to concentrate on focusing my intentions to the gentle birth of our baby.  When I had Isaac there was a point in the birth where I felt like I had lost control of my body; I had hot flashes, cold chills and shakes all at once.  He was born shortly after, but at the time I had no idea that

You can see how red my face got from transition. Here we are ready to have a baby!

what was happening was transition. This time, when I broke out in a cold sweat I told Michael that he had better call the nurse because I thought it was getting to be time and that we were going to meet our baby soon.  The doctor had been coming in to check on me every hour and  he was due for another arrival within the next 10 minutes.  Michael figured we should just wait, he was going to be there in 10 minutes anyway.  I took the buzzer and paged the nurse.

By the time that the doctor arrived I was already breathing our baby out.  This birth was so much easier than Isaac’s even though Violet was malpositioned also.  Isaac was posterior, meaning that his back was on my back resulting in a lot of pressure on me.  Violet was just butt-first, everything else was positioned well.

Since breech deliveries are not common (although they are your legal right in Canada!) it was not something that the hospital experienced every day.  There were several doctors, medical students and nurses who wanted to be present for my daughter’s entry into the world.  I found it all distracting as I was trying to remain in hypnosis and focus on my body doing it’s job, so I kept my eyes closed for the remainder of her birth.

Once she was born Dr. L held her and kept her attached to the placenta (delayed cord cutting) to give her a chance to pink up and get all the nutrients she needed.  He looked up at me and said, “It’s a girl!” and I looked at Michael and whispered, “It’s a girl!” although he already knew and had known for 3 weeks or more from ultrasound results.  Dr. L then handed me my baby, shook Michael’s hand, congratulated us both and exclaimed, “Thank you! That was fun!” before he left.

For the first time after a delivery I was given my baby to hold immediately. Both Ava and Isaac were taken away for an extended period of time; after Ava I had to recover from the c/s and was not able to hold her until I had feeling back in my arms, and Isaac went straight to the NICU.  I didn’t get to hold him until nearly 24 hours after he was born.  Revelling in the fact that I held this minutes old being in my arms, I held her close and inhaled the soft newborn fragrance.  I nursed her and laid in the bed, relaxed.  I had done it.  My second VBAC and a breech to boot.  I took out my phone and sent a status update to Facebook that read, “Jessica Lepitzki has a baby girl born BREECH! I effing rock!”

Violet, less than half an hour old.

Later this year I met with the lactation consultant/public health nurse who had come to visit me the morning after Violet’s birth.  She informed me that the staff at the hospital was still talking about me and my birth!

4 Comments leave one →
  1. June 3, 2011 11:44 am

    Your belly was PERFECT!

    I’m doing the hypnobabies course as well, but this dang cold makes it really hard. I cough so often and so hard and it makes my heart RACE for so long afterwards that it’s really difficult to get anything out of the scripts. Hopefully it will still help a bit, but I know I won’t be able to use it to its full potential.

    Loved reading your birth story.

    • June 3, 2011 2:20 pm

      Amy – positive thoughts! You would be surprised at how instantly it works if you let it 😉 Relax. It will be great 😀 Your body and mind are internalizing the scripts more than you can imagine. I thought the same thing about using it in the hospital, with all the distractions etc. And my rehearsals were constantly interrupted by kids, but it still worked!

      I can’t wait to read your birth story very soon!

  2. vweber permalink
    June 3, 2011 3:18 pm

    Fabulous birthing story! I often thought about trying the hypno for my last 2 babies but it never happened. Dr. Let is an awesome Dr and men in general. He was my Dr for #4 and left the room saying, “See you for the next one!!”… thanks but no thanks. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: